Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pondering "Lavish"


So we've been studying Ephesians. This week was 1:7-8 "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us..."
I was pondering ("Are you pondering what I'm pondering?") what is "lavish?"
It's a word I associate with having too much. Greed, gluttony, waste, excess, spoiling, irresponsibility. In general, I tend to avoid lavish. I'm not comfortable with lavish.

So, I was pondering it again this morning (3am--why can't I think at a time other than 3am?).
If God gives lavishly, it must not be a negative thing, but what is a God-like appropriation of the word "lavish"?(in what order to place consecutive punctuation?.!":").?

God "lavished" His creativity on Yellowstone, and Grand Teton, and Yosemite, and the California coast. He "lavished" them with beauty and uniqueness and stuff.

Must
have
photos

to
illustrate
my
point
.
Okay. Makes somewhat more sense now.

Now I will go brush the dog and eat the remaining Godiva chocolate while watching Dr. Who Season 3 on Danjo's laptop until I fall asleep because I am so tired from pondering all this at 3am. My kids are at school!!!