Friday, December 25, 2009

We Wish You A Merry Christmas


It's Christmas! A few years ago, we divided the story of the arrival of a Saviour into 11 parts (that's how many pieces were in that particular nativity set) printed it out on cards, tied the cards to the figures of Mary and Joseph and the wise men and the sheep and the donkey, etc. and put the figures in everyones' stockings. Christmas morning we took turns putting the figures into the stable as we read the parts of the story. Now we just take turns reading the parts of the story, and skip the rest. More about that in a minute. This is still my favorite nativity set. My mom made it when Venom was very little. It's taken a beating--various kids have chewed the wise mens' crowns off and I have reglued them more than once. The barn I found for it isn't quite tall enough for the angel to stand up...
So anyway, this year the kids handed out the parts and gave me Mary. What jumped off the page this year as I read my part? Something the angel says to Mary: "for nothing is impossible with God" and after that, what Elizabeth says when she greets Mary, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished."
After that, we made a molehill out of the mountain of presents under the tree. Did anyone else get special slippers like this? And you thought the Snuggie was the thing this year! Silly you! Why sit with your arms sticking out a Snuggie when you could be sliding around the house in these?
Danjo the Magnificent got his very own GPS (when Venom saw it she exclaimed, "He needs one of those!), but the GPS is lost. It can't find it's satellites anywhere. If it can't figure out where it is, I'm not sure how it will help Danjo figure out where he is. He got some other stuff too, and that stuff works great, so he's still happy. And I'm sure the GPS will find itself eventually, or it will go back to Stuffmart.
The kids got lots of gifts. Hats, hoodies, the Crayola Crayon Maker (think Easy Bake Oven-- but no one has to eat the results), art supplies, and Young Adventurer got some very awesome colored pencils that look like sticks from a special grandma. And we got our kids guns. Because kids should get guns for Christmas. And because armed and dangerous is a good photo opportunity for the Sidewalk Driver.
From left to right: "I have a plan", "I have you in my sights", and "you should not have said that"
"Keep the change, you filthy animal!"
And then there's Adventurer Two, who really needs a new name, and really thinks she's Rose Tyler: "Do you like my gun(s)?"
They are planning an ARC Heist. Better read fast, Booyor...

Enough of little kids with guns.

All the food I cooked was very yummy. We all agreed. I wish I had baked an apple pie instead of buying one, then it would have been yummy too.

Last, and causing many laughs in just the first few pages, is Andrew Peterson's On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. Gave it to the kids as something for me to read aloud to them, because they still like that, even though they can read for themselves. Andrew Peterson is a singer/songwriter--same guy as in the youtube videos from yesterday's blog post. He's also an author. This book is one of two (so far?) and we'll let you know how we like it as it goes on. A little quote:
"But other than the cruel Fangs and the constant threat of death and torture, there wasn't much to fear in Skree. Except..."
If I can pronounce everything, and follow all the crazy names, it could be very fun.

Goodnight, and Merry Christmas!

No comments: