Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why helping my kids with their homework makes me smile

Young Adventurer was working on some homework that involved thinking of four animals, adding up the numerical value of their names (a=1, b=2 and so on), and figuring out what adds up to the highest number. Two things amazed me about this. First, that he didn't pick ant, bird, pig, and fish like I would have and I thought he would; and second, that he could add the values of agouti(e), manatee, and penguin accurately in his head without writing anything down, and only needed a calculator for hippopotamus.

Adventurer Two was working on math homework and claiming that she can finish the current math book and finish the next one (saxon Algebra 1/2) all before the end of 6th grade (it wouldn't surprise me), and wondering what math she will be doing in her senior year of high school.

Venom was studying for a history test. I was helping her. Here are some of the questions:

Who is Ralf Nedar?

Difference between a closed and oppen primary?

Gole of the prohabitionist party?
(I'll give you this one--'to outlaw the sail of alchohal')

What is a political manchine?

Do you know who Jhon Anderson was?

Do you know which of the first two political parties Halmantin was the leader of?

How does a loosing party help the comunity?

(Yes, she knew all the answers and will do well on the test; yes, I had her permission to post this; yes I preserved the original spelling; and no it was not a turned-in homework assignment but rather her notes. Best part was asking why she spelled "gole" that way--'like "goalie" but without the "a" and the "y"')

Venom also has a math problem for you:
What function is represented by the following table?
x | f(x)
-1| 0
-2| 7
-3| 26
-4| 63
She figured it out before she left class today . How fast are you at algebra? I didn't get a chance to work it out before she and Adventurer Two were discussing the answer. :-(

Oh, one last bit of trivia: 89 is a prime number.

No comments: