Friday, August 27, 2010

Endangered Species: The Elusive Saiga

I just think it would be very, very sad if the saiga became extinct and I never got to take my very own photograph of one (on the off chance that I ever visit Mongolia. All the coolest animals seem to live in Mongolia).
ARKive image - Male saiga antelope
I originally found a picture of one in a BBC Planet Earth book at the college library on Wednesday. I'm going to go back and check out the book, I think. It had the "...they dare not linger..." line in it.
If this photo doesn't convince you that this is a cool animal, they say it's related to sheep (and antelope), it can run 80mph and it grows a mane on the underside of it's neck.
It sounds mostly like a sheep.

ARKive video - Newborn Mongolian saiga antelope calf calling for mother

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that wasn't just an animal Lucas dreamed up for Star Wars? I bet it has a soft nose!