Thursday, February 25, 2010

Curling is a Fad

Curling is also an obsession for some. About 101 people here in our area. The 100 who are in the local curling club, and the one who has the application filled out and is dropping it in the mail after work.
I have learned today, because the local newspaper is so informative, that hockey ice is slightly less than an inch thick and is maintained at 18-21 degrees. Curling ice in our area is the same thing as hockey ice because we have so few curlers (just saying that makes me chuckle) that we don't have dedicated ice. The people that dream of dedicated ice say crazy things. "I don't want to sound weird, but curling on dedicated ice, it's magical. The rock leaves your hand very quietly; it's something."

I have also learned that
"its gracefulness and its goofiness combine to make [curling] somehow mezmerizing."

That's it, we're all being mezmerized. It's part of an olympic conspiracy.

I have added "Men With Brooms" to my netflix queue, just because I can.

Venom used to sing, as she helped mommy, "This is the way we broom the floor, broom the floor, broom the floor..."
I bet they sing something like that for the newbies at the curling club at the hockey rink too. After the hockey players leave.

1 comment:

MTW said...

I have enjoyed watching the curling on TV. I found it very intriguing (and complicated) and would like to learn it myself. I can hardly wait to move to AZ where I can actually learn curling.