Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ebenezer

I woke up this morning with the words, "like a fetter" in my head. Knowing it was words from a hymn I searched my ipod for the song I thought it was and couldn't find either the song or the words. Finally I did what anyone would do and Googled the words. They are indeed from the hymn I had thought. Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing. Thank you, Wikipedia. It wasn't in my iTunes. Danjo the Magnificent had been guitaring it last night, apparently. He likes to play from the hymnal. I didn't notice then, but something in my brain did.
Anyway, that hymn also contains the line, "here I raise mine Ebenezer" and since I wasn't sure what it was referring to, I had to look that up also. it means, "stone of help" and has to do with God defeating Israel's enemies, again.

Then Samuel took a large stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far has the Lord helped us!"
1 Samuel 7:12

While I was looking, I came across two articles that I enjoyed, one about Ebenezer and one on worship, which mentions "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing." Sometimes when we work at figuring out what those strange words mean instead of finding something simpler, we learn something. And then I found one more article. It's longer, but really good.


2 comments:

Mom the Wise said...

Or you could have just called your Mom. I knew what an Ebenezer was (I, too, looked it up once.) I guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree :-)

sidewalk driver said...

You would not have wanted me to call that early in the morning!