Monday, January 26, 2009

Budget Battles

I did a little research today on the budget of the state of Arizona. 
Some interesting things:
The budget for FY 2008 is $9.9Billion
The deficit for 2008 is somewhere between $1billion and $1.6billion (that's nine zeroes.) The calculator on my imac's dashboard could only handle up to 100million, so I had to go find a regular calculator.
The deficit is about 16% of the state budget, which is the worst of any state-even worse than CA.
There are no pie charts on the internet that I could find that show where the state's budget is spent, but at least 43%, and maybe as much as over 50% of the state budget is spent on education. Of that, 80% goes to "faculty salaries."
45% of the state's budget is "protected from budget cuts"---what??
So, if education is 45% (approx) of the budget, and 45% of the budget is protected, that only leaves 10% of the budget left to cut, if not education. So, if we cut all of that, we still have another 6% of the entire state budget that needs to go, and will have to come from education. That's only $600,000,000 or so. 
I just want to know about the 45% of the budget that is "protected"...

(I almost forgot, in case you were wondering, according to the internet [controlled by the guy in Utah who is keeping a Dalek in his basement] it's either the fault of the republican legislature or the democratic [don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out] former governor. I'm not really sure which. Maybe it's even both their faults)

Now I will go pick the kids up from school, and write about something else next time. Maybe the economy in Europe and all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Run the numbers on the Federal budget and you'll need an even bigger calculator. And, the new Administration is still just talking. Wait till they locate your checkbook. Yes, I mean yours.

Urban Ranger said...

I say we put them all in a bottle with paddles and let them battle for the 45% tweedle beetle style.

sidewalk driver said...

Yes, definitely.
When politicians battle for the budget with a paddle in a bottle, and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles, will the budget balance then?

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the economy in Europe......