Monday, September 15, 2008

Lament over the destruction of something beautiful

Some things just don't need updating. The Mona Lisa doesn't need more modern clothing. Graffiti looks not so good on the Statue of Liberty. Just as the oceans are destroyed by the trash thrown overboard from cruise ships, beautiful hymns are destroyed by the removal of integral verses and the addition of repetitive, simplistic, unmusical worship choruses. It's like inserting the diet Coke jingle into the middle of Handel's Messiah. 

O For A Thousand Tongues is my most favorite hymn. It makes me cry.  The David Crowder band version makes me cry too-- in agony over the destruction of something beautiful. 

Added:
So come on and sing out
Let our anthem grow loud
There is one great love
There is one great love, Jesus.


Removed:
Hear Him, ye deaf
His praise, ye dumb
your loosened tongues employ;
ye blind, behold your savior come
and leap, ye lame, for joy.

Luke 7:19-23:

Summoning two of his disciples, John sent them to the Lord, saying, "Are You the Expected One, or do we look for someone else?"

When the men came to Him, they said, "John the Baptist has sent us to You, to ask, 'Are You the Expected One, or do we look for someone else?'"

At that very time He cured many people of diseases and afflictions and evil spirits; and He gave sight to many who were blind.

 And He answered and said to them, "Go and report to John what you have seen and heard: the BLIND RECEIVE SIGHT, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the POOR HAVE THE GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM.

"Blessed is he who does not take offense at Me."


Isaiah 29:18-19

On that day the deaf will hear words of a book,
         And out of their gloom and darkness the eyes of the blind will see. 
    The afflicted also will increase their gladness in the LORD,
         And the needy of mankind will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 35

The wilderness and the desert will be glad,
         And the Arabah will rejoice and blossom;
         Like the crocus 
    It will blossom profusely
         And rejoice with rejoicing and shout of joy 
         The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
         The majesty of Carmel and Sharon 
         They will see the glory of the LORD,
         The majesty of our God. 
    Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. 
    Say to those with anxious heart,
         "Take courage, fear not 
         Behold, your God will come with vengeance;
         The recompense of God will come,
         But He will save you." 
    Then the eyes of the blind will be opened
         And the ears of the deaf will be unstopped. 
    Then the lame will leap like a deer,
         And the tongue of the mute will shout for joy 
         For waters will break forth in the wilderness
         And streams in the Arabah. 
    The scorched land will become a pool
         And the thirsty ground springs of water;
         In the haunt of jackals, its resting place,
         Grass becomes reeds and rushes. 
    A highway will be there, a roadway,
         And it will be called the Highway of Holiness 
         The unclean will not travel on it,
         But it will be for him who walks that way,
         And fools will not wander on it. 
    No lion will be there,
         Nor will any vicious beast go up on it;
         These will not be found there 
         But the redeemed will walk there, 
    And the ransomed of the LORD will return
         And come with joyful shouting to Zion,
         With everlasting joy upon their heads 
         They will find gladness and joy,
         And sorrow and sighing will flee away.

Charles Wesley and Carl G. Glaser and Lowell Mason got O For A Thousand Tongues exactly right back in the 1700s. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You nailed it! Too much of our music is being "dumbed down." This happens when worship becomes experiential rather than objective. Our feelings fall far short of the objective truth of God's glory. Only God can give sight to the blind and speech to the dumb.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go so far as saying, "Your loosened tongues employ" to "Let our anthem grow loud" is a complete dumbing down of the song.

Sometimes the additions are a response from the artist to the original work and the scripture that they're based on (like my journaling).

What we've got to realize is that these guys, like David Crowder, are fellow believers responding to God's truth and how he's working in their lives.

As a musician who's played in symphonies as well as on a worship team, I don't feel that I'm playing "repetitive, simplistic, unmusical worship choruses".

Recapitulations and repetitions of the main theme go all the way back to how sonatas were set up. It's not a new thing. There's a difference between "minimalist" and "simplistic".

All that being said, I'm really sorry that the worship music makes you cry. My heart beaks for you when I'm up there and I know which songs are in the set. Thanks for taking the time to read the comment and keep on blogging. I love it!

Anonymous said...

"breaks" not "beaks"
D'oh

sidewalk driver said...

I'll say that I did not intend my comments in this particular post to go beyond my feelings on this one song. There is a version of Amazing Grace that we sing that doesn't bother me much, and a couple of my favorite versions of hymns are set to modern music. Caedmon's Call has done a nice version of "I Surrender All" that I really like and a couple of less well-known hymns as well. There are also some worship choruses I like (and a bunch that I don't, and some that have good music and strange words, and vise versa).

My problem with O For A Thousand Tongues is that by eliminating that one verse something amazing was left out, and the addition did not make up for it. "Loosened Tongues" can be employed because the Messiah is present. That verse of the song harks back to Isaiah's prophecies of the coming Messiah, it drags those prophecies forward to the actual physical ministry of Jesus the Messiah, and it points forward to His return (Revelation 21:4-6). It seriously kills me to leave it out. Loud anthems do nothing to make up for the omission of that verse. It's not that the words of the added chorus are untrue, they just fall completely flat for me.

I don't know anything about David Crowder band. I don't know what other stuff they do. I do not like the changes made to this song.

I understood about the beaks. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that not all praise music is trash.
I do love/miss the verse that was cut out. I'm right there with you, Jesus' healings are amazing and why we can/should sing. (You know where I'm coming from with healings and all that, as well as God's promises throughout huge spans of years coming true.)

I just have been challenged by God recently about how critical I am of his people and I pass on a warning about tongue-sparks and launched arrows. It's part of why I may never be a pastor, even though I would love sharing truth and passion about Jesus. I don't have thick enough skin, even if it's just people complaining about AR tests I've written.

And thank you for understanding my sudden use of beaks.