Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Belatedly...Orchids


So far, none are dead.
Meet Ziggy, the zygopelatum. Formerly of Trader Joe's. Check the previous post for what it looked like when it arrived at my house. Note the dead flowers and three dead leaves. Can you see the black spots on several other leaves. I don't think those are good.

And yet, a ray of hope appears. There is a new stem, with three new flowers. Prognosis for Ziggy. Uncertain. 
This is the dendrobium. It also had four blossoms when it arrived. They all died and fell off. No leaves have died. No new flower shoots.
Note the presence of a tiny new root. At least I think it is a root. I am a novice orchideer.
Prognosis. Guardedly good.
This is my other interesting houseplant. It has remained alive in the kitchen window for nearly a year. The plant in the front of the pot looks like a monster. This plant is alive because it needs infrequent watering. 

All my other house plants have been dismissed to the front porch to make room for the orchids. 


This is not a houseplant. It sprouted up in the front yard and is taking over. I probably need to pull it up before it kills the daylilies. Does anyone know what it is?

No comments: