Wednesday, May 25, 2011

RAWrrrr!

I tried shooting in RAW today. I told the camera to save each image in both RAW and JPG so I could compare.
1. the JPG image (the camera processes the raw image data itself):
2. The RAW image, no changes made with the conversion software (adobe camera raw):
3. The RAW image, with a couple of little adjustments made using the conversion software:
Conclusions from this little experiment (after walking outside to take another look at these flowers--what do they really look like, anyway?):
1. My camera doesn't process purple very well on it's own
2. I have A LOT to learn about processing images
3. If I'm going to shoot in RAW, I need a new and more spacious memory card (arriving Friday from Amazon), and then I'll need another more spacious hard drive, and another, and another...and I need to learn to delete bad pictures.

I also figured out what the different metering and auto-focus settings are on my camera, and how to use the auto-bracketing setting. Probably should have done that sooner, as this stuff would have come in handy many times, but before a big photo-op vacation is good.

Last night, after the family "football" game in the backyard, I also played with long exposures and kids that move. Maybe I'll post those next, as long as no one is afraid of ghosts.

No comments: