Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Steak and Nitrogen

Today I had a conversation with one friend in which we laughed about the need to take things one day at a time--thinking beyond today gets too overwhelming, after all.

So what's just today?
A scooter crash, a bandaid-ed knee, a quarter of a tank of gas, an orientation for a computer class that should be taught by the history dept, a basketball game (and a basket, nearly 3 points but we'll take 2), a missing violin teacher (her day was crazier than mine), waited for a train, AWANA, the quadratic formula (you know, a x squared plus b x plus c equals y--- I reviewed, you should too--never know when you'll need to graph bungee jumpers and fit pizza in a box), parabolas, proof of the formula for the line of symmetry (just for fun, and because it was going to make a certain someone other than me or the owner of the homework insane to use it and not know how it works), steak and nitrogen with a side of rhizobuim (because one of my kids is absolutely hilarious and is paying attention in science), the use of caricatures in the great depression, spelling words (none of which is the opposite of "a solid") and Paul Bunyan, an application for student council, dinner in the car, dinner from leftovers, popcorn, dueling Fiocco and Dancla in the living room (lesser known than Mozart and Salieri, but entertaining--the recital is saturday and I can't wait!!), allergies, curlers, dishes, laundry, a discussion about dissecting frogs, the attempted rescue of a baby bird, and I fed the dogs. Not necessarily in that order.
That's just since 3pm. In addition to leaving out the entire morning and part of the afternoon in this accounting of our day, I "may" have (intentionally or unintentionally, as the case may be) left out several relevant details and significant people (and overused parentheses), and I forgot to check the mail.

Earlier, before breakfast, during coffee #1, was highlighted eyelashes, and a backlit ear that were worth looking at.


And we made it through today. And we laughed a bit. And I like popcorn.

Tomorrow sounds daunting, now that I think about it, now that I think of the to-do list, and the to-think-about list, and the can't-do list, and the unexpected list, and the didn't plan-for-it potential, but it's not tomorrow yet.

At least I don't have to worry about the paparazzi.
They seem to leave me alone.
And for that, I am truly thankful. And it's good to be thankful.

No comments: