Monday, July 19, 2010

Camp, Take Two

Venom and Adventurer Two are up at camp this week. Venom is a Junior Counselor, and Adv.2 is in her last year as a camper.
Adv.2 has chosen to rough it a little more than the average camper, by staying in the "Adirondaks" which are much more rustic--more shacks than cabins--the door is a tarp, and more distant from the main camp area.
Here she is, setting up her bunk. She was having trouble keeping bugs off the sheet as she put it on the bed. The insect repellent will probably come in handy!
Venom is stationed at Hill Cabin, also a considerable distance from the dining hall and restrooms:
Here's an excerpt from her first letter home, sent back with us from camp after her first night (she went up a day earlier):
"I have been having a fun week so far. It's sunday now so it is only my second day here but i can already tell that it is going to be a great week. Yesterday I had lots of time for walking around and relaxing after we set up the cabin. But Mrs. B. sure had a lot of stuff to carry up to hill cabin...& it's a long way from the car...However I had a great afternoon. I accidently sat in the forest lost in thought for an entire hour! Can you believe it!

"...I had time to take a nap and fool around at the creek for a while before dinner. And guess what I found in the creek? A water wheel! It was the coolest thing! You should see it!

"However, I slept horribly last night! There is a GIANT mouse living in a hole above the fire place. It is seriously bigger than a guinea pig's butt, it's soooo fat. And it is round! The stupid pig mouse spent the ENTIRE night running around the room and trying to get into my suitcase! It kept pitter pattering across the matress of the bed below me and driving me nuts..."

The last photo is the creek. Young Adventurer was here last week, literally here. The dam in the foreground was partially his work. The water wheel found by Venom was the product of his dam-building class, although he told me this morning that the stated goal of his dam-building team was not to utilize the water wheel to produce power as was expected, but to make a nice swimming hole. Goal accomplished. Shallow, but nice. :-)

1 comment:

Urban Ranger said...

So glad you included a picture of the dam place.